Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A Natural History

If you browse the shops of Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie or Forever 21, you will notice a huge increase in prints, designs and items with animals and woodland themes as the focus. Owls, birdies, squirrels, toadstools (to name a few) have graced the items of jewelry, pictures, dinnerware, clothing etc.

Obviously, I'm in love.

I have a few items in my shop that fit this description:

(Interested? Click Here)

When I saw this owl, staring up at me, I knew I had to have it.  I believe it's main function is to be a plant holder, however, I suggest the eco-friendly re-purposing efforts of making a it a beer bottle/can holder. The instructions to do this are as follows:

1. Insert Beer in Holder
2. That's it.

The next couple of items comes from my "Rejected Art Projects" section in my shop. I couldn't pass up these adorable hand painted creamer and sugar set with Toadstool motif. On the bottom is marked "Lynn 1981". O, Lynn. Why would you want to part with such magnificence?

 (Interested? Click Here)

(Interested? Click Here)

Clearly ahead of their time, this is a 3-D toadstool plate made by K.K. in 1979. Perhaps they accidentally placed this plate in the donate pile, because I see no reason to not display it...preferably with it's own glass case, and spotlight. 

All joking aside (but seriously, these items are available in my shop - go now!), the forest/woodland creatures theme is huge right now! Interestingly enough, it is fairly easy to find some awesome vintage pieces that incorporate these elements:


(Interested? Click Here)

Believe it or not, this is not the first squirrel/walnut trinket holder I have seen. My boyfriend has one that I enviously see every time I'm at his place. I joke that I get it in the divorce settlement (not joking. lawyers have been notified).

(Interested? Click Here)

These t-shirts come in a variety of colours. I like the natural image of the owl, however, it still appeals to the cutesy side of me (with those gorgeous big eyes!)

(Interested? Click Here)

I love this item! I've actually done it myself. I bought a vintage, hard cased, yellow suitcase, and stencilled the image of a flock of birds on the one side, and the silhouette of two birds on branches on the other side. It was a huge hit (According to the one person I've shown it to).  Vintage suitcases (like the real, 1960s, with the mirror attached (like mine!)) are becoming harder to find. Especially ones that are in excellent condition like this one. Skip the expensive, and mass-produced TNA and Lululemon bags, and have something original and unique for your travels!

(Interested? Click Here)

What's more woodsy than a print about the woods, in a medium that looks like the woods? In reality this is a print on paper, that can easily be framed and displayed.

I love mixing woodsy, arty themes with vintage items. As mentioned in an earlier post, I love vintage dinnerware. I think these two themes make the perfect match:

(Interested? Click Here)

I am quite liking this not-so new trend. Thanks to ETSY's merchandising page for giving me the idea!

Stay tuned to the blog and my shop, I'll be having some new items posted soon (when I can get my act together) that incorporate both Vintage bar-ware and woodsy elements (Toadstool Printed Drinking Glasses anyone! Oh yes. Be. Ex. Cited!)




3 comments:

  1. This is great...I also have a set of those mushroom mugs! These items are so fun..thanks for showing my squirrel nut with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring our womens Urban Owl tee!! Great vintage inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe my mom had one of those walnuts with the squirrel on top. I loved the art print of the deer in the trees. Oh and the 2D toadstool plate was a nice choice. Woodland is definitely in right now.

    ReplyDelete